1. Ships equipped with a trunk and chest valve (retractable log)
If the ship is equipped with a speed log situated under a chest-valve, making it possible to replace or repair the log without the need for a dry dock, repairs shall take place as soon as practically possible* and a temporary exemption shall be issued for a maximum period of 4 weeks. During this period, the measurements under 3.1-6 of this instruction, shall be adhered to.
*Always taking safe practices for working in enclosed spaces into account. In cases were cargo obstructs access to the speed log trunk, a port of convenience may be used in order to minimize delays.
2. Ships equipped with a fixed installation (non-retractable log)
If the ship is equipped with a fixed non retractable system, consequently a dry-dock or, alternatively, a diving underwater repair company shall be involved. In this case a temporary exemption may be granted until repairs can take place, taking the following into account;
Underwater repairs are possible, the log technical specifications indicate the possibility of underwater repairs:
1. If an underwater repair company is available and capable of repairing the log in water, this shall be done as soon as practically possible. All safety precautions, including port or terminalrestrictions shall be adhered to.If an underwater repair company is not available a may be granted until the ship reaches a port where this facility is available.Within the time frame of the , special measures as listed under section 3.1 to 3.6 of this instruction, shall be adhered to.
Underwater repairs are impossible and a dry-dock visit is necessary for the repair;
2. If a scheduled dry docking, part of an intermediate or renewal survey (safety construction, outside bottom survey) is planned within 6 months;a shall be granted until the survey, including the repairs, take place. Inherent tothese outstanding repair works, the intermediate scheduled bottom survey can no longer be executed in-water. Within the time frame of the , special measures as listed under section 3.1 to 3.7 of this instruction, shall be adhered to.
3. If a scheduled dry docking, part of an intermediate or renewal survey (safety construction, outside bottom survey) is scheduled more than 6 months from the date of malfunction, a shall be granted until the dry docking takes place. Within the time frame of the , all special measures listed under section 3 of this instruction, shall be adhered to.
4. If, for any reason,an unscheduled dry docking takes place earlier than the scheduled dry docking/bottom survey, repair of the speed log shall take place a this unscheduled dry docking.