1 Assembly resolution A.888(21) on Criteria for the provision of mobile-satellite communication systems for use in the GMDSS forms the basis for evaluation and possible recognition of mobile-satellite systems notified by Governments to the Organization for use in the GMDSS.
2 In accordance with section 1 of the Annex to resolution A.888(21) the following procedure should apply for evaluation and possible recognition of mobile-satellite systems notified by Governments for use in the GMDSS.
3 Governments, either individually or in co-operation, notify the Organization of a mobile-satellite system intended for use in the GMDSS, including the necessary documentation indicating:
- that the mobile-satellite communication system notified conforms to the criteria set out in resolution A.888(21);
- the coverage area and the extent of coverage area from shore of the mobile-satellite system notified;
- that the provisions of resolution A.707(17) on Charges for Distress, Urgency and Safety Messages are complied with;
- availability of the mobile-satellite system concerned, using standard statistical calculations or by actual operation experience; and
- statement or evidence of economic viability for long-term provision of service.
Sub-Committee on Radiocommunications and Search and Rescue action
4 Verification by comparison between the documentation received and the criteria, set out in the Annex to resolution A.888(21), that the notified system complies with all criteria contained in the Annex to resolution A.888(21).
5 Verification by examination of the documentation received from the notifying Government or Governments that:
- the mobile-satellite communication system is compatible with the SOLAS requirements; and
- recognition of the mobile-satellite system will not result in substantial changes having to be made to existing procedures or equipment performance standards.
6 If necessary, development of new performance standards and/or procedures for the particular mobile-satellite system.
7 If necessary, development of proposals for amendments to the provisions of the relevant regulations in chapter IV of the 1974 SOLAS Convention, as amended.
8 Forward to the Maritime Safety Committee the recommendation with respect to the nominated mobile-satellite system including all relevant supporting documentation.
Maritime Safety Committee action
9 Appropriate decisions regarding recognition of the notified system for use in the GMDSS are needed.
10 Governments1, which license or authorize mobile-satellite systems recognized by the Organization, should make available to the Organization, at each session of the Sub-Committee, a report of availability and performance of the system. This report should indicate whether or not the mobile-satellite system continues to meet the criteria contained in resolution A.888(21).
11 The Organization includes and maintains in the GMDSS Master Plan details of all areas covered by the mobile-satellite communication systems and by the individual coast earth stations operating in the systems recognized for use in the GMDSS.
Note: IMSO is considering expanding the scope of its oversight and this may result in oversight responsibility for all GMDSS satellite participants